Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Essentials
This course impacts on your day-to-day interactions with people you support who may not have mental capacity to consent in a care home setting. The legislation also covers people who can no longer live at home and alternative arrangements need to be made. You will learn about the changes to the law that happened because carers spoke up where they felt a situation was wrong and their actions led to more detailed checks about people's rights.
DoLS is being replaced with Liberty Protection Safeguards (LPS). A national group is developing a Code of Practice to explain LPS. Target date for completion of this work is now scheduled for Winter 2021 with new regulations in effect from April 2022. This course includes information about these changes and links to current documents.
Who should take this course?
This course has been designed specifically for Care and Support Workers working in a social care setting. It may also be useful to a wider audience of people who would like to know more about DoLS.
- What is DoLS?
- What is meant by restraint and restrictions under DoLS?
- Who are "Managing Authorities" and "Supervisory Bodies"?
- Who does the DoLS assessment and how?
- Applying for DoLS authorisation
- Who is DoLS relevant to?
- When can a person be deprived of their liberty?
- Supreme Court Judgements
- Types of DoLS authorisation
- Responsibilities and records
- Relevant person’s representative
Aims of the Course
At the end of this learning you will be able to:
- Explain what DoLS is and when it is used
- Understand when it is appropriate for a person to be deprived of their liberty and how this is done legally
- Understand about DoLS assessments
- Identify the various roles of people and authorities
- Understand the legal aspects of DoLS
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to take the assessment and immediately access/download your certificate upon completion, which looks like this:
Choose a plan below that best suits your needs. If you would like to purchase more than 50 licences, contact us.
24 Month Plan
12 Month Plan
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to change the accessibility settings to suit your needs. This includes translation into 100+ languages, some of which can also be read out loud to you.
Stress and Resilience Life can be stressful. Work can be stressful. Having to do another eLearning course can be stressful. Not recognising…
Supervision Skills for Managers Supervision is linked to fundamental standards, which in turn, are linked to the Care Quality Commission’s Key Lines…
Why use Grey Matter Learning?
- Our methodology values previous learning, saving time
- Clever accessibility settings including 100+ languages
- 50+ high quality courses, specially written for care
- Join thousands of services and local authorities
- Proven to reduce staff turnover and improve CQC ratings
- Established 14 years - we know what works
- Skills for Care Centre of Excellence, CPD certification
- No hidden charges, we recycle your licences