Positive Behaviour Support
In this course we will explain what Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) is and why it is the recommended approach to working with people who display ‘behaviours that challenge’.
We will look at the theories, the evidence base and the values that underpin PBS as a practice. We will introduce a basic model of understanding behaviour and explore the role of communication in PBS. Then we will consider ways to ‘make it happen’ in care services and what is involved, including the use of behaviour support plans, primary prevention, secondary prevention and reactive strategies.
The course includes links to videos, websites and other resources to support your deeper exploration into this important topic.
Who should take this course?
This course has been designed specifically for Care and Support Workers working in a social care setting. It may also be useful to a wider audience of people who would like to know more about positive behaviour support.
- What is Positive Behaviour Support?
- Theories that support PBS
- What is good about PBS?
- What are ‘behaviours that challenge’?
- Understanding behaviour that challenges
- The importance of excellent communication skills
- Behaviour as a form of communication
- Implementing PBS
- High-quality care and support environments
- Functional, contextual and skills-based assessments
- Positive behaviour support plans
- Primary prevention strategies
- Secondary prevention strategies
- Reactive strategies
- Post-incident reviews
- Getting help and further resources
Aims of the Course
- Understand PBS and the supporting theories
- Identify behaviours that challenge and why this happens
- Connect communication skills with behaviours that challenge
- Understand the different stages of behaviour and the strategies linked to these stages
- Identify how PBS can be implemented with the people you work with
- Engage in post-incident reviews
- Access videos, website and other resources to support your deeper exploration into PBS
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to take the assessment and immediately access/download your certificate upon completion, which looks like this:
Unlimited Learning Pricing
Choose a plan below that best suits your needs. If you would like to purchase more than 50 licences, contact us.
£4 (ex VAT)
£2 (ex VAT)
24 Month Plan
£3 (ex VAT)
12 Month Plan
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to change the accessibility settings to suit your needs. This includes translation into 100+ languages, some of which can also be read out loud to you.
Supervision Skills for Managers Supervision is linked to fundamental standards, which in turn, are linked to the Care Quality Commission’s Key Lines…
FREE CQC Training: Online eLearningHow to prepare for an Outstanding CQC Inspection This highly recommended course covers the essentials for care providers…
Why use Grey Matter Learning?
- Our methodology values previous learning, saving time
- Clever accessibility settings including 100+ languages
- 50+ high quality courses, specially written for care
- Join thousands of services and local authorities
- Proven to reduce staff turnover and improve CQC ratings
- Established 14 years - we know what works
- Skills for Care Centre of Excellence, CPD certification
- No hidden charges, we recycle your licences