Understand the Youth Justice System as it Relates to Residential Childcare
In this training course you will learn about the principles and fundamental aims of youth justice.
The online course covers why children and young people are vulnerable to engagement in offending behaviour and how to reduce the risk of criminalisation.
We look at how youth justice operates, how the court system works and how you can work in partnership so you can apply this knowledge in your role.
Who should take this online course?
This course has been designed specifically for people working with children and young people. Whilst it provides focus on residential settings, it will also be useful to a wider audience of people who would like to know more about the youth justice system. The course provides content to meet qualification units relating to residential childcare.
We offer our courses for your LMS as SCORM files. Depending on the scope of what you need there may be a charge for this. Please connect to discuss it with us.
Online Course Content
- 1.1 Define the term ‘offending behaviour’
- 1.2 Summarise theories relating to youth offending
- 1.3 Analyse factors that make CYP particularly vulnerable to offending behaviour
- 2.1 Define the term ‘criminalisation’
- 2.2 How poor behaviour management strategies can escalate criminalisation of CYP
- 2.3 Risks of systematically classifying behaviour as offending rather than seeking alternatives
- 2.4 Describe methods to reduce the risk of criminalising CYP
- 2.5 Describe principles of the organisation’s Police Involvement Policy
- 3.1 Outline the role of agencies involved in the youth justice system
- 3.2 Describe the practitioner’s role in relation to the youth justice system
- 3.3 Analyse assessment tools used in the youth justice system
- 3.4 Contribute to a holistic care plan for a CYP engaged with the youth justice system
- 3.5 Informing social workers and those with parental responsibility, of Police involvement
- 4.1 Outline legislation relating to the court system for youth justice
- 4.2 Describe the sentencing process
- 4.3 Explain the function of Court Reports
- 4.4 Summarise the main disposal options for children and young people
- 4.5 Describe systems for supporting compliance with disposal requirements
- 4.6 Minimising the high level of breaches of disposal requirements by young people
- 4.7 Describe processes for responding to breaches of disposal requirements
- 5.1 Different types of secure settings experienced by children and young people
- 5.2 Why CYP in secure settings are at higher risk of poor outcomes
- 5.3 Describe approaches that improve outcomes for CYP in secure settings
- 6.1 Challenges faced by CYP who are moving within and out of the secure estate
- 6.2 Factors for successful transfer of CYP between settings within the secure estate
- 6.3 Factors for the successful resettlement of CYP in the community
Aims of the course
By the end of the training course, you will:
- Understand why children and young people in care are vulnerable to engagement in offending behaviour
- Understand how to reduce the risk of criminalisation of children and young people
- Understand partnership working in the youth justice system
- Understand the court system as it relates to youth justice
- Understand the experience of the secure estate
- Understand how to achieve successful transfer within and out of the secure estate for children and young people
Social Care Unlimited Course and Certificate Package
Price options are per user per month, inclusive
Our plans allow organisations to recycle licences instead of always purchasing more credits - no hidden charges for changes in staff! If you would like to purchase more than 50 licences, book a demo and know more please contact us.
Why use Grey Matter Learning?
- Our methodology values previous learning, saving time
- Clever accessibility settings including 100+ languages
- 100+ high quality courses, specially written for care
- Join thousands of services and local authorities
- Proven to reduce staff turnover and improve CQC ratings
- Established 15 years - we know what works
- Skills for Care Centre of Excellence, CPD certification
- No hidden charges, we recycle your licences
FREE Duty of Candour Online Training Course In March 2021, the Care Quality Commission (CQC), who regulate social care in England, published…
FREE Supervision Skills for Managers Online Training Course Supervision is linked to fundamental standards, which in turn, are linked to the Care…