Understand the Care System and its Impact on Children & Young People
The vast majority of children and young people in the UK grow up living with their families, in family homes. For those who do not, one of the alternatives is to be placed into the care system.
Being supported by the care system inevitably has an impact on them and this online course will explore what the long and short-term impacts are and why they arise.
The training course will look at the law, systems and processes that are in place, reasons why children and young people are placed into the care system and how those who work in the care system can help make the care experience a positive experience.
This course is part of our unlimited Course and Certificate package
Who should take this online course?
This training course has been designed specifically for people working with children and young people and provides focus on residential settings. It may also be useful to a wider audience of people who would like to know more about the care system and its impact on children and young people. The training course provides content to meet qualification units relating to residential childcare.
We offer our courses for your LMS as SCORM files. Depending on the scope of what you need there may be a charge for this. Please connect to discuss it with us.
Online Course Content
- 1.1 Analyse a child’s circumstances that lead to them entering the care system
- 1.2 Summarise the legal process by which children and young people become "looked after"
- 1.3 Explain the role of key professionals in the care system
- 1.4 Analyse why a CYP may have experienced multiple transitions and traumas before entering residential care
- 2.1 Explain the legal and statutory entitlements of children and young people in care
- 2.2 Analyse risks if CYP do not understand their entitlements or are not supported
- 3.1 Summarise current theoretical approaches relating to residential childcare services
- 3.2 Summarise legislative and policy frameworks underpinning care for "looked after" children
- 3.3 Compare types of care arrangements for "looked after" children and young people
- 3.4 Therapeutic services distinguished from other residential childcare services
- 3.5 Explain the aims and objectives of a residential childcare service
- 3.6 Describe characteristics of provision that reflect good practice
- 4.1 Describe how being in care presents additional challenges for children and young people
- 4.2 Compare the life chances and outcomes of children and young people in residential childcare
- 5.1 Impact on practice of recognising that all CYP in care are vulnerable
- 5.2 Describe the attitudes and values team members need to enable CYP to have a positive experience
- 5.3 Describe activities and approaches that enable CYP to have a positive experience
- 6.1 Purpose and features of plans required for CYP in residential childcare
- 6.2 Explain why CYP should be supported to understand their own plans
- 6.3 Explain the importance of "permanency planning" for children and young people in care
Aims of the course
By the end of the training course, you will:
- Understand the process by which a child or young person comes into care
- Understand the entitlements of children and young people in care
- Understand the context of residential services for children and young people in care
- Understand the impact of residential child care services on children and young people
- Understand how to support a positive experience of care services for children and young people
- Understand planning frameworks for children and young people in residential childcare
Social Care Unlimited Course and Certificate Package
Price options are per user per month, inclusive
Our plans allow organisations to recycle licences instead of always purchasing more credits - no hidden charges for changes in staff! If you would like to purchase more than 50 licences, book a demo and know more please contact us.
FREE Duty of Candour Online Training Course In March 2021, the Care Quality Commission (CQC), who regulate social care in England, published…
FREE Supervision Skills for Managers Online Training Course Supervision is linked to fundamental standards, which in turn, are linked to the Care…
Why use Grey Matter Learning?
- Our methodology values previous learning, saving time
- Clever accessibility settings including 100+ languages
- 100+ high quality courses, specially written for care
- Join thousands of services and local authorities
- Proven to reduce staff turnover and improve CQC ratings
- Established 15 years - we know what works
- Skills for Care Centre of Excellence, CPD certification
- No hidden charges, we recycle your licences