Self Harm and Suicide
Self harm and suicide are very emotive and sensitive subjects. More research has been done over recent years into incidents and causes of these behaviours and we are talking about them more openly which is really positive. Sadly there are still stigmas attached to people with mental health needs and there are still myths about why people self harm or choose to take their own life. The impact on people who self harm and their families can last a lifetime and the impact of suicide on family, friends and carers can be immense.
If you are personally affected by self harm or suicide or you are feeling particularly emotional right now, please make sure you seek support for your own wellbeing. You might want to consider if now is the right time for you to take this course. If in doubt, seek support. Your own wellbeing should always come first.
Who should take this course?
This course has been designed specifically for Care and Support Workers working in a social care setting. It may also be useful to a wider audience of people who would like to know more about Self Harm and Suicide.
- Understand what is meant by the term self harm
- Understand what self harm is and the types of self harm
- Understand reasons for self harm and who might self harm
- Be aware of the stigma of suicide and self harm and its impact
- Be aware of what is required for self harm after care
- Understand what is meant by suicide
- Understand the link between self harm and suicide
- Recognise the warning signs of self harm and suicide
- Understand risk management of self harm and suicide
- Be aware of the process of recovery from attempted suicide
- Understand the impact of working with people who self harm or have suicidal thoughts
Aims of the course
By the end of the course, you will:
- Develop an understanding about self harm and suicide
- Identify the reasons why people self harm and commit suicide
- Explore the myths and facts surrounding self harm and suicide
- Know how to identify any concerning behaviour
- Understand Crisis Plans and what they contain
- Know what to do and how to respond
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to take the assessment and immediately access/download your certificate upon completion, which looks like this:
Unlimited Learning Pricing
Choose a plan below that best suits your needs. If you would like to purchase more than 50 licences, contact us.
£4 (ex VAT)
£2 (ex VAT)
24 Month Plan
£3 (ex VAT)
12 Month Plan
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to change the accessibility settings to suit your needs. This includes translation into 100+ languages, some of which can also be read out loud to you.
Why use Grey Matter Learning?
- Our methodology values previous learning, saving time
- Clever accessibility settings including 100+ languages
- 50+ high quality courses, specially written for care
- Join thousands of services and local authorities
- Proven to reduce staff turnover and improve CQC ratings
- Established 14 years - we know what works
- Skills for Care Centre of Excellence, CPD certification
- No hidden charges, we recycle your licences
PPE (COVID-19) Essentials PPE is used in all areas of industry to protect employees from hazards. In health and social care PPE…
FREE CQC Training: Online eLearningHow to prepare for an Outstanding CQC Inspection This highly recommended course covers the essentials for care providers…