Medication - Supporting and Assisting (Part 1)
This course is for anyone who will be supporting or assisting individuals to take their own medication.
If your role requires you to administer the medication yourself, then you will need to complete this course and also the second course, Medication - Administration (Part 2) which thankfully is much shorter than this one.
Who should take this course?
This course has been designed specifically for Care and Support Workers working in a social care setting. It may also be useful to a wider audience of people who would like to know more about Supporting and Assisting with Medication.
- Different types of medication
- Different ways medication can be administered
- Commonly used medications, what they are used for and common possible side effects
- Changes to an individual’s wellbeing that may indicate an adverse reaction to medication
- Legal classifications for medication and drugs
- Roles and responsibilities for prescribing and dispensing medication
- Roles and responsibilities supporting someone with medication in your organisation
- Over the counter remedies and supplements
- Materials and equipment that can assist in administering medication
- Ordering, receiving and collecting medication
- Storing medication safely
- Principles in supporting the use of medication
- Using risk assessments to promote independence in managing medication
- Addressing ethical issues that may arise over the use of medication
Aims of the Course
At the end of this learning you will be able to:
- Understand different types of medication, what they are used for and how they can be administered
- Know about legal drug classifications
- Know how medication is prescribed and by who
- Understand your role in supporting people with medication
- Know how to order, receive, collect and store medication safely
- Understand the dangers of over the counter remedies
- Know how to use the risk assessment and promote independence
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to take the assessment and immediately access/download your certificate upon completion, which looks like this:
Unlimited Learning Pricing
Choose a plan below that best suits your needs. If you would like to purchase more than 50 licences, contact us.
£4 (ex VAT)
£2 (ex VAT)
24 Month Plan
£3 (ex VAT)
12 Month Plan
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to change the accessibility settings to suit your needs. This includes translation into 100+ languages, some of which can also be read out loud to you.
Supervision Skills for Managers Supervision is linked to fundamental standards, which in turn, are linked to the Care Quality Commission’s Key Lines…
PPE (COVID-19) Essentials PPE is used in all areas of industry to protect employees from hazards. In health and social care PPE…
Why use Grey Matter Learning?
- Our methodology values previous learning, saving time
- Clever accessibility settings including 100+ languages
- 50+ high quality courses, specially written for care
- Join thousands of services and local authorities
- Proven to reduce staff turnover and improve CQC ratings
- Established 14 years - we know what works
- Skills for Care Centre of Excellence, CPD certification
- No hidden charges, we recycle your licences