Dysphagia and Choking Online Training Course
We have all coughed and spluttered at some point when eating and some of us have been unfortunate enough to choke. Usually this happens when we eat too quickly or eat a food that irritates our throat. Cashew nuts with black pepper always make me cough and sneeze so I don’t indulge very often!
Think about the last time this happened to you. At best its embarrassing … that awful coughing, runny nose and watering eyes that makes everyone turn to you and say “are you alright”. At its worst however, not swallowing correctly can be extremely frightening and potentially life threatening.
With Dysphagia you can run the risk of choking every time you eat. Eating should be a fun activity, but this condition can be very stressful if it is not managed properly. Dysphagia is a common condition in elderly people and people who have learning disabilities.
In this online training course we will explain what Dysphagia is, how to spot the signs, and who to refer to. We will give guidance on how to make mealtimes a better experience. We will also provide practical guidance on how to support someone who has Dysphagia and how to help them if they choke or become unwell.
This course is part of our unlimited Course and Certificate package
Who should take this Dysphagia online training course?
This online training course has been designed specifically for Care and Support Workers working in a social care setting. It may also be useful to a wider audience of people who would like to know more about dysphagia and choking.
We offer our courses for your LMS as SCORM files. Depending on the scope of what you need there may be a charge for this. Please connect to discuss it with us.
Choking Online Training Course Content
- What is dysphagia?
- The swallowing reflex
- Causes of dysphagia
- Signs and symptoms
- Diagnosis and treatment
- Supporting someone with dysphagia
- The IDDSI Framework
- Aspiration pneumonia
- Monitoring, reporting and managing risk
Aims of the online course
By the end of the training course, you will:
- Understand what dysphagia is and what can cause it
- Understand how we swallow
- Identify potential signs and symptoms
- Know how to support an individual to prepare for a diagnosis
- Identify key challenges for people with dysphagia and how to support with these
- Identify key purpose and elements of the IDDSI Framework
- Understanding when someone may be choking and what to do
- How to monitor, report and manage risk
Social Care Unlimited Course and Certificate Package
Price options are per user per month, inclusive
Our plans allow organisations to recycle licences instead of always purchasing more credits - no hidden charges for changes in staff! If you would like to purchase more than 50 licences, book a demo and know more please contact us.
FREE Safeguarding for Managers and Safeguarding Leads Training Course Organisations must ensure that every person (operating within the scope of their organisation)…
Why use Grey Matter Learning?
- Our methodology values previous learning, saving time
- Clever accessibility settings including 100+ languages
- 100+ high quality courses, specially written for care
- Join thousands of services and local authorities
- Proven to reduce staff turnover and improve CQC ratings
- Established 15 years - we know what works
- Skills for Care Centre of Excellence, CPD certification
- No hidden charges, we recycle your licences