Coaching Mentoring and Challenging Conversations
Coaching and mentoring are terms that are often used interchangeably but they are different. This course is designed to give you an overview of coaching and mentoring, and to get you to look at some of the key behaviours, skills and techniques used by coaches so that you can apply these to your daily working practice.
Carrying out supervisions, talking to clients and their families, taking your team through a big change initiative or managing an inspection: all of these situations require you to have conversations that can sometimes be quite challenging. We will be learning how to manage these conversations, looking at how you approach them and then exploring skills and techniques that will help you do it better the next time.
During this course we will be coaching you through this process so that you will be able to coach yourself and others to feel more confident in how you interact with others, react well in difficult moments and turn challenging conversations into great conversations.
Who should take this course?
This course has been designed specifically for people in a management or supervisory role working in a social care setting. It may also be useful to a wider audience of people who would like to know more about coaching, mentoring and dealing with challenging situations.
- What are coaching and mentoring?
- Qualities and behaviours
- Skills and techniques
- Do powerful questions make richer conversation?
- Why might a conversation be challenging?
- Having difficult conversations: giving and receiving feedback
- Grow: where to hang your coaching hat
Aims of the Course
At the end of this learning you will be able to:
- Define what coaching and mentoring are and identify the key differences
- Identify qualities and behaviours necessary for a positive coaching conversation and audit themselves against this
- Gain an understanding of what active listening is and review how to add or develop this skill in their own practice
- Identify what powerful questioning is, where and when to use this technique, and in which contexts
- Identify some of the difficult challenges coach/supervisors face and review possible solutions.
- Identify what lies beneath a challenging conversation and how they can personally approach them
- Appreciate and experience the skills and techniques necessary to give and receive effective feedback
- Have a basic understanding of the GROW model and how this can be applied to the work environment and supervisory sessions
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to take the assessment and immediately access/download your certificate upon completion, which looks like this:
What people have said about this course:
“A really good course. Coaching is something you aren't taught or shown how to do when you become a manager so I found this course really useful. I would definitely review it again when I have a 121 with a coachee coming up.”
“I made notes and learnt so many things from this course. I immediately implemented the learning, e.g. active listening, paraphrasing and asking questions. I wanted to see how it changed the other person and it was really positive in that she started sharing more things meaning I learnt more.”
Choose a plan below that best suits your needs. If you would like to purchase more than 50 licences, contact us.
24 Month Plan
12 Month Plan
If you sign in to your account on Click before you take this course, you will be able to change the accessibility settings to suit your needs. This includes translation into 100+ languages, some of which can also be read out loud to you.
Epilepsy Awareness This course aims to raise awareness about epilepsy and the management of seizures. We look at the different types of…
Oral Health Care The key objective for people working in health and social care is to support individuals with their general health,…
Why use Grey Matter Learning?
- Our methodology values previous learning, saving time
- Clever accessibility settings including 100+ languages
- 50+ high quality courses, specially written for care
- Join thousands of services and local authorities
- Proven to reduce staff turnover and improve CQC ratings
- Established 14 years - we know what works
- Skills for Care Centre of Excellence, CPD certification
- No hidden charges, we recycle your licences