Assessment and Planning with Children & Young People in Residential Childcare
Throughout this online course we will evaluate the principles and purpose of assessment and planning, who is involved, their responsibilities and how they can support children and young people in residential childcare.
That includes you, so we explain how you can encourage, motivate and work with children and young people to identify their needs, set challenging targets and goals for development and enable them to engage fully in the process.
We look at how their needs, views and aspirations can be evaluated and communicated effectively to ensure their assessments are full, accurate and child centred and look at how those plans may develop to achieve positive outcomes.
This course is part of our unlimited Course and Certificate package.
Who should take this online course?
This training course has been designed specifically for people working with children and young people and provides focus on residential settings. It may also be useful to a wider audience of people who would like to know more about assessment and planning with children and young people. The course provides content to meet qualification units relating to residential childcare.
We offer our courses for your LMS as SCORM files. Depending on the scope of what you need there may be a charge for this. Please connect to discuss it with us.
Online Course Content
- 1.1 Describe the purpose of assessment and planning with CYP in residential childcare
- 1.2 Explain why a child centred model of assessment and planning is used
- 1.3 Explain how assessment frameworks help to ensure holistic assessment
- 1.4 Explain the legal requirements for recording assessment and planning information
- 2.1 Explain how to use a child centred model of assessment and planning to identify CYP's needs
- 2.2 Explain the importance of working with others when assessing and planning for the needs of CYP
- 2.3 Methods of engagement to ensure the child is central when assessing and planning
- 2.4 Describe strategies for child centred assessment and planning with CYP who disengage
- 3.1 Explain the boundaries of own role and responsibilities within assessment and planning
- 3.2 Engage with CYP to enable them to express their needs, views and aspirations
- 3.3 Use and adapt assessment frameworks to ensure the assessment is full, accurate and child centred
- 3.4 Work with the child or young person to agree goals and targets
- 3.5 Explain how the goals and targets identified will support the achievement of positive outcomes
- 3.6 Work with the CYP and others to develop a plan to meet needs and work towards positive outcomes
- 3.7 Confirm that the child or young person and others understand and agree to the plan
- 4.1 Support CYP and others to understand their roles and responsibilities in implementing their plan
- 4.2 Encourage the child or young person to work towards the achievement of a plan
- 4.3 Agree ways of recording progress towards goals and targets with the CYP
- 4.4 Record progress of a child or young person in relation to a plan
- 5.1 Explain the importance of reviewing and updating plans
- 5.2 Work with the child or young person and others to review progress towards goals and targets
- 5.3 Identify aspects of the plan that are working well and those that need to be revised
- 5.4 Use outcomes of review to update plan
- 5.5 Agree the updated plan with the child or young person and others involved
- 6.1 Explain own role and the roles of others in the external assessment process
- 6.2 Respond to requests for information to support the assessment
- 6.3 Support the child or young person to understand and contribute to external assessment
Aims of the course
By the end of the training course, you will:
- Understand the purpose and principles of assessment and planning with children and young people
- Understand how to place children and young people at the centre of assessment and planning
- Be able to participate in assessment and planning for children and young people
- Be able to work with children and young people as a plan is implemented
- Be able to work with children and young people to review and update plans
- Be able to contribute to assessment led by other professionals
Social Care Unlimited Course and Certificate Package
Price options are per user per month, inclusive
Our plans allow organisations to recycle licences instead of always purchasing more credits - no hidden charges for changes in staff! If you would like to purchase more than 50 licences, book a demo and know more please contact us.
FREE Supervision Skills for Managers Online Training Course Supervision is linked to fundamental standards, which in turn, are linked to the Care…
Why use Grey Matter Learning?
- Our methodology values previous learning, saving time
- Clever accessibility settings including 100+ languages
- 100+ high quality courses, specially written for care
- Join thousands of services and local authorities
- Proven to reduce staff turnover and improve CQC ratings
- Established 15 years - we know what works
- Skills for Care Centre of Excellence, CPD certification
- No hidden charges, we recycle your licences